Slow Food Corvallis 2012 Annual General Meeting and Potluck Supper
Slow Food Corvallis held its annual meeting at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship Social Hall. Thirty-five people attended and enjoyed a convivial potluck meal followed by the meeting. Participants loved the many delicious dishes, from roast pork belly to moussaka, white beans with truffle oil to chicken Marbella, potatoes au gratin to beet salad–too many to count, and requiring several trips back to the groaning board to satisfy curiosity and appetite. A Slow Food potluck is an event not to be missed!
After a delightful and delicious convivial meal, President Ann Shriver introduced the Board, Leaders’ Group members and gave a brief review of last year’s array of events. Three new board members were elected to serve. Jen Brown from the Corvallis Environmental Center praised the Supper at SAGE and Slow Food’s involvement with that spectacular event. Ray William of the Corvallis Gondar Sister Cities project discussed the proposal to support an urban garden in Gondar Ethiopia. We were delighted to host Tom Barkin, Regional Governor for the Northwest region of Slow Food USA, who gave a historical perspective of Slow Food. Mary Ann Jasper invited participants to our first event of the year which will be a baking with local grains class on February 12.
A brainstorming session to develop ideas for 2012 events included the suggestions below. Stay tuned to this website as the Board develops these ideas into scheduled events.
1. Cooking Class with Andrew Pham, Vietnamese food writer.
2. Olive Oil Tasting
3. Oregon-origin Fruit and Veg Varieties Talk and tasting
4. “Portrait of a Meal” featuring Rebecca Waterhouse portraits of women farmers, the farmers themselves, products they produce
5. Honey Tasting/Mead/Beekeeping
6. Theme Dinner at GTF—Spanish? Paella?
7. Ethiopian Cooking Lesson
8. Farmers’ Market Potluck Pickup Picnic
9. Something involving Youth, SAGE, Halloween
10. Herbs and Spices: Nutritional and Medicinal Uses—Class or lecture
11. Butchery: using the whole animal. Classes in how to cut up a chicken, filet a fish, etc.
12. Mushrooms: presentation from Mushroomery owner