4 cups fresh pumpkin (or winter squash, yams/sweet potatoes, or a mixture)
3 tbsp onion
1 tbsp butter
Juice of ½ lemon (plus a bit extra)
½ tsp cloves
1 tsp salt
1 cup coconut milk (plus a bit extra)
1 tsp cinnamon
- Split and seed the squash. Roast at 350 F for 30–45 minutes, until soft. Let cool till safe to handle. Peel squash and gently cut into chunks.
- In large pot, heat butter and fry onions.
- Add ground cloves, salt, coconut milk, and cinnamon. Heat for 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add squash and heat together while gently stirring.
- Just before serving, you can add an extra squeeze of lemon and an extra ½ cup of coconut milk to heighten the flavors.
*From the Africa News Cookbook — a great source of recipes from all over Africa!