3 lbs lamb cut into bite-size pieces
1½ tbsp each minced or crushed fresh ginger
1½ cups plain whole milk yogurt
Juice of ½ lemon
2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
3 curry leaves
2½ tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cloves
½ tsp cardamom
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
¼ to 1/3 cup canola oil
1½ onions (made into a paste in a food
processor or grater)
½ tbsp grated fresh ginger
½ tbsp crushed fresh garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
8 oz can roasted tomatoes, ground in a food
processor until smooth
4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and
cut into bite-size pieces
½ cup heavy cream
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp white pepper
½ tsp ground fenugreek
- Put lamb and marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Marinate for up to 24 hrs.
- When ready to cook, roast the meat on a baking sheet in the oven for 15 min. at 350° F. Keep the leftover marinade for use in the sauce.
- Heat ¼ cup oil until hot and fry onion, ginger and garlic till lightly golden.
- Add white pepper, cumin, coriander and fenugreek to the onion paste; stir for a few seconds.
- Add the leftover marinade and stir for a minute.
- Add in the tomato sauce and stir for 3 to 5 min on low heat.
- Add the roasted lamb to the pot. Add a bit of water if necessary. Cover and cook the lamb on low heat for an hour to 1½ hours. Stir occasionally.
- Add the potatoes. Stir in 1 cup of water and cover and cook until potatoes are tender and lamb is soft.
- Just a few minutes before turning off the heat, add the cream and butter and wait until butter is melted and sauce is thickened. Add more salt if needed.